NOTICE: City Buildings & Services Affected by COVID-19

A phased reopening of Oak Creek's municipal buildings has begun.  City Hall, the Police Station, the Public Works building, and Water & Sewer Utility HQ reopen on June 2. More details here.

The Library remains closed to the public until further notice. More details here.

The Oak Creek Recycling Yard has reopened during normally scheduled hours. More details here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • How do I contact the Municipal Clerk of Court?

    The Clerk of Court’s office is located at the police department, 301 W. Ryan Road. Generally, there is someone in the office from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday. However, on those days when court is scheduled, phone calls may be forwarded to voice mail and returned within 24 hours.

    The direct phone number for the Clerk of Court’s Office is (414)766-7621.

  • What happens if I am issued a citation?

    If you are issued a citation, you are assigned a court date. You must only appear at your court date if your citation is marked as a mandatory court appearance. If your citation is not marked as a mandatory court appearance, you can choose one of the following three options:

    • Mail or personally deliver payment of your fine to the Clerk of Court’s office at the Oak Creek Police department during business hours prior to your court date. A payment drop box is also located in the Police Department lobby for use after hours.
    • Enter a “not guilty plea” in writing prior to your court date. You will then be assigned a trial date at which you will be required to appear.
    • Appear in person at the Oak Creek Municipal Court on the date and time listed on your citation.
  • What will happen if I appear in court on the date on my citation?

    The date on your citation is the date of your initial appearance. When you arrive at Court for your initial appearance, you will meet with the City Attorney to discuss the citation. After that meeting, you will then appear in Court to make your initial appearance.

    During your initial appearance you have to enter a plea to the charge on the citation. If you have negotiated a plea agreement with the City Attorney during your meeting, then you have to enter a plea to the amended charge.

    You may plead guilty, no contest or not guilty.

    • Pleading guilty or no contest: You will be assessed a fine and the matter will be resolved at this initial appearance.
    • Pleading not guilty: Your case will be scheduled for a trial and you will have to return to court.

    Please be advised, the court session will last 2-3 hours depending on the number of people who appear. The Court schedules approximately 250 cases for initial appearance, and each case is heard individually. The cases are called on a first come, first served basis.

  • How should I behave in court?

    The court is a very traditional and polite place where a certain demeanor (way of acting) is expected. You must act and speak in a way that helps you with your case.

    • Be on time! The court has a very busy schedule. If you are late, your case might be postponed to another date or dismissed entirely.
    • Dress professionally, as you would for an important event. This means that your clothing should be neat and clean, and that you are well groomed.
    • Do not bring your children into court.
    • Do not chew gum.
    • Be respectful to everyone in court. This includes the judge, court staff, the other party involved in your case, witnesses, court bailiff, and any other people in the area.
    • Address the judge as 'Your Honor'.
    • Do not use profanity, argue, or verbally react to answers given in court by the judge, opposing party, or attorney. You will have your turn to speak.

    Always remember the four "P": Professionalism - Punctuality - Politeness - Preparation

  • What happens if I fail to pay my fine or fail to appear for my court date?

    If you signed a Personal Recognizance Bond, a default judgment is entered and the court will impose a fine. You will have 60 days to pay this fine. If you fail to pay the fine within 60 days, this will result in either the suspension of your driving privileges for up to one year or until the fine is paid; or the issuance of a Writ for your commitment to the Milwaukee County House of Correction to serve one day for every $50.00 owed. Amount owed may be sent to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue to attempt to collect. 

    If you have not signed a Personal Recognizance Bond, a Warrant will be issued for your arrest. When the Warrant is served you will be required to either sign a Personal Recognizance Bond giving you the opportunity to appear for a court date or your fine will be due.

  • What happens now that I have points assessed against my driving record?

    Demerit points from individual traffic violations are awarded back to you one year from that violation date. If you accumulate six or more demerit points within a 12-month period, you will receive a warning letter from the DMV.  If you accumulate 12 or more demerit points within a 12-month period, your driver’s license will be suspended by the DMV. Drivers may take a traffic safety class to have their demerit points reduced by three after successful completion of the course. You may contact the DMV for a listing of approved instructors and locations.
  • The DMV notified me that I have to take a Right-of-Way course, what can I do?

    Any person who is convicted of a Failure to Yield violation or certain other Right-of-Way violations is required to complete a Right-of-Way class. You may contact the DMV for a listing of approved Right-of-Way instructors and locations, or you may contact the Oak Creek Municipal Court for instructions on how to reopen your citation.