Clothes Dryer Fire Safety
Did you know?
You are at higher risk of having a clothes dryer fire if you don't clean your lint filter and dryer vents.
Follow these simple safety tips to prevent a clothes dryer fire in your home:
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter. Clean the lint filter before and after each cycle.
- Do not forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up.
- Check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure that it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
- Make sure that the outdoor vent covering opens when the dryer is operating
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas, is a by product of the combustion of fossil fuels. When appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, dryers and stoves malfunction or are improperly vented, a buildup of carbon monoxide gas can occur. As this gas builds up in a home, occupants may experience:
At higher levels, carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include:
- loss of consciousness
As the winter months draw upon us, the Oak Creek Fire Department would like to remind residents that carbon monoxide detectors should be placed on each level of their home. In addition, they should have appliances inspected by a licensed professional.
Space heaters account for 43 percent of U.S. home heating fires and 85 percent of associated deaths.
Keeping sufficiently warm during the winter months can prove challenging, particularly when frigid temperatures persist. While portable space heaters can help generate heat, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is reminding the public that they do present potential fire hazards and must be used with caution. Below are some general rules for space heating with electricity.
- Keep your heating equipment and anything that can burn at least 3 feet apart.
- Plug cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord.
- Turn off heaters when you leave a room or go to bed.
- Inspect for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections, and replace any before using.
- Never use or store flammable or combustible liquids near or in rooms with heaters.