Outdoor burning on commercial and multi-family properties is prohibited without authorization from the on-duty Battalion Chief at (414) 570-5610.
Prior to ignition of any open burning you are requested to notify the dispatch center by calling (414) 762-8200. You will be asked to provide the following:
- Property address
- Telephone number
- Material to be burned
- Start and end times
- Wind velocity must be less than 10 miles per hour.
- The size of the burning pile shall not exceed four (4) feet by four (4) and three (3) feet in height.
- Flammable or combustible liquids shall not be used to ignite or accelerate the fire at any point.
- The fire must be constantly supervised by a competent person, at least sixteen (16) years of age, until the fire is extinguished.
- The person supervising the fire shall have a means to extinguish the fire, such as a garden hose or fire extinguisher.
- The pile to be burned shall be a minimum of fifty (50) feet from a building or vehicle and twenty-five (25) feet from a roadway, highway, or other thoroughfares.
- If the smoke travels in such a manner to obscure any public roadway, highway, or other public thoroughfare the fire shall be extinguished.
- If the fire or smoke from the fire becomes a hazard or nuisance to your neighbors you will be required to extinguish the fire.
- Please consult with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources for burning regulations.
- Wisconsin law prohibits anyone from burning the following materials:
- Recyclable paper or cardboard
- Wet combustible rubbish, such as wet cardboard or paper
- Oily substances, such as oily or greasy rags, oil filters, etc.
- Asphalt such as asphalt shingles or tar paper
- Plastics of any kind, including plastic bottles and plastic bags
- Rubber products, including tires and hoses
- Painted and treated wood