NOTICE: City Buildings & Services Affected by COVID-19

All City of Oak Creek buildings, including the Library are closed to the public until further notice. More details here.
The Oak Creek Recycling Yard has reopened during normally scheduled hours. More details here.

Absentee Voting

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Banner - MyVoteWI - 1800x300

A qualified elector who is unable or unwilling to appear at the polling place on election day may vote an absentee ballot. You must be registered to vote in order to vote absentee. Both items can be handled at the same time for those persons who are not registered to vote in Oak Creek.

A sample ballot is available for review prior to voting absentee or in person on election day.

A written request must be submitted by the qualified elector to obtain an absentee ballot. The request may be made in person, by letter, email, or fax, provided that the original request containing an original signature is mailed to the City Clerk’s Office. The written request may also be made by completing, signing and submitting an EL-121 – Request for Absentee Ballot form. The request must contain:

  • Copy of Photo ID
  • Name
  • Residential Address
  • Mailing Address, if applicable
  • Which election(s) the voter requests an absentee ballot
  • Status as a military voter, if applicable
  • Declaration that he/she meets the voting requirements
  • Signature
  • Date

The last day to request an absentee ballot by mail is the 6th day before the election.

It should be noted that anyone may pick up a Request for Absentee Ballot for another qualified elector and return the completed request to the Clerk’s Office so that a ballot may be mailed to the requestor.

Once the request for an absentee ballot is received, the ballot will be mailed to you at the address indicated on your application. The ballot is voted as instructed at the top, placed in the return envelope and sealed. Do not sign the ballot itself. However, you must sign the outside of the envelope in front of one witness who must also sign the outside of the envelope, and include their home address. Your witness may be a spouse, neighbor, friend, etc., as long as they are 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen.

If your absentee ballot is mailed to you, it may be returned to the City Clerk’s Office via U.S. Mail or personally delivered to City Hall during regular hours.

The application must be received no later than 5:00 pm on the 5th day before the election. There are exceptions as follows:

  • Absentee electors may vote in person at the City Clerk’s Office until 5:00 p.m. the Friday before the election
  • Military and indefinitely confined electors have until 5:00 pm on the 4th day before the election to make a request
  • Hospitalized and sequestered juror electors have until 5:00 pm on election day to request an absentee ballot

The elector may also specifically request to automatically receive an absentee ballot for every election within a calendar year.

An elector indefinitely confined because of age, illness, infirmity or disability, may request an absentee ballot be sent to them for every election until they are either no longer confined, or fail to return a ballot for an election. This is considered a permanent absentee voter.

If an elector fails to return any one ballot, that elector will not receive any additional absentee ballots, unless they file a new absentee ballot request within 30 days. The ballot may be returned with no votes cast, but the ballot must be returned to the City Clerk’s Office in order to receive a ballot for the next election.

Absentee ballots are available two weeks prior to each election. If you know that you will be unavailable to vote in person for any election, please either put your request for an absentee ballot in writing, or contact the City Clerk’s Office to ensure that the ballots are available for voting in person at the Clerk’s Office.

If voting in person, the unmarked ballots may not leave City Hall. They must be voted immediately. No one may take a ballot to another person away from City Hall, except as a hospitalized elector, for which special provisions apply.

Contact the City Clerk’s Office for information relating to hospitalized and/or sequestered juror electors.