Are you interested in becoming involved in your community?
One of the many ways for the citizens of Oak Creek to become involved in the City’s governmental decisions is by serving on a board, committee or commission. While not all of the committees have vacancies at this time, you are always welcome to fill out the Boards, Commission & Committee Application located at the bottom of the page. We will get back to you when there are openings.
Standard Appointment Procedures
The following are procedures relating to appointment to City of Oak Creek boards, commissions and committees, supplementing requirements of Sec. 2.60 of the Municipal Code.
- The Mayor recommends appointments, reappointments and replacements for regular boards, commissions and committees for confirmation by the Common Council; appointments to ad-hoc committees are made by the Mayor with no Council confirmation required.
- Any person desiring to be considered for appointment to any City board, commission or committee, except incumbent members, shall complete an application form obtained from the City Clerk’s office. A resume or other letter of interest may also be provided but is not required. When an applicant is recommended for appointment, a copy of his/her application is given to all members of the Council and included with the agenda documents distributed to the public.
- Prior to re-appointment, incumbents seeking re-appointment are required to update previous applications or provide current letters of interest.
- Unless otherwise provided, each person desiring to be considered for appointment shall be a full-time resident and qualified elector of the City of Oak Creek.
- Appointees shall comply with a code of ethics, pursuant to Wis. Statutes Sec. 19.42 and 19.59. The Council shall not appoint any person to a board, commission or committee who would have continually recurring conflicts of interest requiring abstentions or an excessively high percentage of said situations.
- Applications for appointments shall remain on file for a period of two years from the date received. Applicants may be considered for future vacancies should they occur during that time.
- New appointees to a board, commission or committee shall appear before the Council at the meeting in which their appointments are to be made, prior to action being taken on their appointment. New appointees may provide a brief statement to the Council and may be questioned by the Council members.
- It is suggested, but not required, that incumbents being re-appointed appear before the Council at the meeting in which their re-appointments are to be made, prior to action being taken on their re-appointment.
- Members shall serve without compensation, unless specifically provided, for their services as such; however, such members shall receive reimbursement for necessary travel expenses and other expenses incurred on official duty when such expenditures have been authorized by the Council.