Facts and figures
In 1998, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that over 15,600 dryer
fires occurred killing 20 people, injuring 370 more and causing over $75.4 million in property damage.
Washer and Dryer Safety Tips -
Washer and Dryer installation and maintenance tips:
- Have you dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Do not operate your dryer without a lint filter. Clean the lint filter before and after each use.
- Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying times.
- Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outside vent flap will
open when the dryer is operating.
- Make sure the right plug and outlet used and that the machine is connected properly.
- Avoid overloading a washer or dryer. Follow the manufacturer's operating instructions.
- Do not leave a dryer running if you plan to leave the house or if you are going to bed.
- Washing machines and dryers should be properly grounded.
- Make sure the dryer flap is not covered with snow in order for the exterior flaps to operate properly.
NFPA Safety Tip-The leading cause of dryer fires is the failure to clean in and around them.
Source: NFPA data 2009
Send mail, questions, or comments to: Webmaster
City of Oak Creek - 8640 S. Howell Ave. - Oak Creek, WI 53154
Phone: (414) 768-6500 Fax: (414) 768:9587